The Nigerian Police has denied reports by Sun Newspaper that billionaire kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike alias Evans had disappeared from its custody.
A daily newspaper on Saturday had reported the story, stating that he had ‘vanished’ just weeks after the kngpin was arrested.
Police spokesperson, Jimoh Moshood has however described the report as a lie.
“Evans is intact in police custody,” he said.
“He did not vanish anywhere”.
According to Premium Times, a police officer said the suspect was transferred to Abuja in order to stop media coverage.
The official said;
“We moved him from Lagos to Abuja this week,”
“This will allow us to properly interrogate him.”
“But the notion that he had somehow disappeared from custody or that police were not willing to give updates about his whereabouts is simply absurd,”
The police spokesperson said the move was to extract all excruciating evidence needed to convict him.
“A lot of cases had been traced to him that we’re currently investigating, as well,” Moshood said.
He added that some of the suspect’s accomplices have been arrested.
The Police had earlier stated that it has obtained a warrant to keep Evans in detention for three months.
ACP Abba Kyari, then verified the Premium Times report by taking to his page to also dispel the rumour
Friends, I received over a Thousand Calls this Morning. Pls Disregard the Fake news From a Major Newspaper Today that The Most Notorious Kidnapper in the History of Nigeria Evans in our Custody has Vanished. It’s a Big Lie.
In Accordance with the 90 Days Remand Order from Federal Highcourt, investigation Covering 3 Countries is in Progress.
Its a False Headline, We can Never Joke with the Security of Nigerians.
See the report that went viral earlier;